04 January 2019

This is Dave; First of the ATLAS datasets at RAL-LCG2, signing off.

The last physics beams and collisions in the LHC for the foreseeable future finished last month. This has been described better than I can do it here:
https://www.symmetrymagazine.org/article/lhc-ends-second-season-of-data-taking
 I thought I would use this moment to finish my description. I and my children are still in 43 rooms spread over 24 houses. We are in Switzerland, USA, Germany, UK, France, Portugal, Netherlands, Japan,Turkey, Canada, Italy, Israel and Czech Republic. There are 268datasets of which 1 has three replicas , 56 have a twin, the remaining 211 are at risk of extinction if a room were to be destroyed. Only 54 datatsets are user derived rather than being centrally produced.

In general,  since my birth neatly nine years ago,  the number of primary brethren at my initial home of the RAL tape system.may also be of interest to people.
In the "DATATAPE" room of RAL-LCG2 there are 17855 people. It's amazing how we can fit all in one room!  4865 of these are unique data runs.(If you recall that my DNA value is 2.3.7.3623, then the last value at RAL is 2.3.3.20441). There are 7628774 files filling a space of 7.294 PB of RAW data  (out of a total 9.925PB)

Below is a plot of the distribution of dataset size (GB)  stored for data runs:


More datasets will be coming later (though still to be confirmed when.)  Data rates will be much larger and so greater volumes of data will need to be recorded. It's going to be an interesting couple of years working out how to do this and a challenge to prepare for this, whilst still providing  functionality and capacity to provide my current and future children to the Users who will continue to analyse me and my brethren in the coming years. This is Dave; first (but no last ) of the ATLAS raw datasets stored at RAL-LCG2, signing off.

No comments: